How to create email marketing with video using SendGrid and Viewed
In this tutorial you will learn how to easily create, configure and send an email marketing campaign with video that plays directly in the inbox, using SendGrid and Viewed. Yes, it’s real!
Viewed is a platform that solves the problem of embedding video with autoplay in email marketing campaigns, easy to use, mobile-friendly and 100% compatible with Sendgrid. You can create professional, high impact and dynamic email campaigns that increase CTR up to 173%.
1. Create your Viewed Account
If you don’t have an account, create one here. By default, you will be logged in the FREE plan, that includes 100 video impressions to make some tests. You can upgrade your plan or purchase extra video impressions as needed. Viewed delivers millions of videos in email every day. It has solid servers and is partner of Amazon and Google Cloud to deliver your videos in the emails, regardless of the volume or concurrent users.
2. Upload your Video File
The Viewed platform is compatible with all video formats such as mp4, avi, mov and flv. Press the blue button “Upload Video” on the right side of your screen:
Then fill the form:
- Video name: It’s a name to identify the video in your list.
- Video file: you have to options:
– Select a video from your computer. You can use the drag & drop system or click to search and upload.
– Or introduce a youtube or Vimeo video. It is no needed to select file in the previous field.
- Video width: it’s the video size in pixels in your html template.
- Behavior: you can select autoplay, loop and mute and combine them as you want. The best combination is Autoplay + mute.
- Click on the green button “Upload Video”
3. Coffee Time!
It´s time to have a cup of coffee. It will take just a few minutes. Relax, our System is in charge.
Viewed will automatically create all the necessary video formats to be compatible with every Operating System, device or navigator.
When the process finishes you will receive an alert in your notification bar.
4. Get the code for your email
You have three different ways to get the code for your email:
- Notification bar: when the upload finishes we provide you a link to the code in the notification bar.
- List of videos: First, click on “Copy Video ID”. Second, select “Copy to email” option.
- List of videos: Click on “Edit” button, this gives you access to a new screen
when you have to click on “Email embed code”.
5. Time to go to Sendgrid
Now that you have your Viewed HTML code it´s time to go to SendGrid to start your campaign. Just log in to your SendGrid account.
6. Create a campaign
Go to “Marketing“ and press the “Single Sends“ in order to send your first video email.
Click on “Create a Single Send“ button.
7. Select a template
Select a template that you want to use to send your email. You can choose between “My Templates“ (you have to create one) and “SendGrid Templates“. In this tutorial we will use a “Sendgrid Template“.
Then choose “Design Editor“.
8. Put Viewed HTML code in your template
Now you have to insert the Viewed HTML code you have copied previously to the SendGrid platform. First you have to select “Code“ module and drop it to the template.
Then you have to paste the HTML code and click on “Update“ button.
9. Time to send your video email
Now click on “Review Details and Send“. You can customize your campaign, choosing the recipients list you want to send. You can send your video email now or schedule a date and time zone to do so. Now you are ready to go!