How to create an email marketing with video using MailChimp and Viewed
In this tutorial you will learn how to easily create, configure and send an email marketing campaign with video that plays directly in the inbox. Yes, it’s real!.
Viewed is a platform that solves the problem of embedding video with autoplay in email marketing campaigns, easy to use, mobile-friendly and 100% compatible with MailChimp. You can create professional, high impact and dynamic email campaigns that increase CTR up to 280%.
To create a campaign you must have your video and HTML template, to export a template from MailChimp you can see how it is done from this link.
1. Create your Viewed Account
If you don’t have an account, create one here. By default, you will be logged in the FREE plan, that includes 100 video impressions to make some tests. You can upgrade your plan or purchase extra video impressions as needed. Viewed delivers millions of videos in email every day. It has solid servers and is partner of Amazon and Google Cloud to deliver your videos in the emails, regardless of the volume or concurrent users.
2. Upload your Video File
The Viewed platform is compatible with all video formats such as mp4, avi, mov and flv. Press the blue button “Upload Video” on the right side of your screen:
Then fill the form:
- Video name: It’s a name to identify the video in your list.
- Video file: you have to options:
– Select a video from your computer. You can use the drag & drop system or click to search and upload.
– Or introduce a youtube or Vimeo video. It is no needed to select file in the previous field.
- Video width: it’s the video size in pixels in your html template.
- Behavior: you can select autoplay, loop and mute and combine them as you want. The best combination is Autoplay + mute.
- Click on the green button “Upload Video”
3. Coffee Time!
It´s time to have a cup of coffee. It will take just a few minutes. Relax, our System is in charge.
Viewed will automatically create all the necessary video formats to be compatible with every Operating System, device or navigator.
When the process finishes you will receive an alert in your notification bar.
4. Get the code for your email
You have three different ways to get the code for your email:
- Notification bar: when the upload finishes we provide you a link to the code in the notification bar.
- List of videos: First, click on “Copy Video ID”. Second, select “Copy to email” option.
- List of videos: Click on “Edit” button, this gives you access to a new screen
when you have to click on “Email embed code”.
5. Time to Go to MailChimp
Now that you have your Viewed HTML code is time to go to MailChimp to start your campaign. Just log in to your MailChimp account.
6. Create your campaign
Go to the “Campaigns“ section and click on the “Create Campaign“ button.
A pop-up window will appear in which you must click “Email“.
Enter the name of your campaign and click on “Begin“.
7. Fill out the configuration fields
In this section you must choose the recipients of your campaign, the from email, the subject etc …
IMPORTANT: At the bottom of the page is the “Settings & Tracking“ section where the “Auto-convert video“ checkbox should be unchecked.
8. Select your HTML template
Now, you must put your HTML code that you downloaded from the Viewed platform in your template. Select the “Design email“ option.
Then select a template. You can select layouts, predefined themes or code your own template. Select a theme to begin.
9. Put Viewed HTML code in your template
Once you have selected your template select “Code“ block and drop it to the location you want to see the video.
Copy the HTML code that you downloaded from Viewed and paste it into the editor on the right. After you paste it, you will see it on the left hand side. Click on “Save & close“ to continue.
IMPORTANT: In the SETTINGS tab, the AUTOMATIC CSS INLINER checkbox must be unchecked. Click SAVE and NEXT to continue.
17. Time to send
Send your campaign or schedule your time of delivery. You can also check if the various parts of your video email campaign are correct.